05 November 2005

Melissa's Rant

I really appreciated Melissa’s rant. Mostly because I do some of the things she talked about, also because I knew a lot of people like she describes herself as in high school. I was probably one of the people she laughed at, maybe even was annoyed at. I agree with her that it is not good that students think about their grades more than their well being. Often, last year I would save the hardest work, history reading (and the notes we were supposed to take on it) for last. Much to my history teacher’s annoyance I often wouldn’t get it all done, preferring to be at least somewhat alert for the 7:45AM class.

I share Melissa’s doubt when I see how much more homework I’m doing than many other people in my hallway. Just a few days ago when leaving an Intro to Mass Communication lecture about our final essays I heard someone say, “This will be so easy. It’s the third essay I’ve written this year!” I about turned around and screamed “I wrote three essays last week!” I managed to restrain myself…that time.

Melissa’s rant could probably be more focused. She asks what she’s ranting about herself. Although, I don’t know if when she says, her own stupidity, I agree. It seems to be more about how skewed many people’s expectations of high school and college students are, with some personal stories of being over worked, and not having enough sleep thrown in. The way she wrote it is effective, at least for me, because I could identify with her frustrations.

No comments: