02 October 2005

my escapist dream



Here is my secret:

If time and money were no issue I would probably move to Crete.

Since I saw a show about Crete on the Travel channel a few years ago I have wanted to visit there. The biggest reason for this was the scenery. The turquoise Mediterranean Sea, the lush forests, and rocky canyons all looked too beautiful to believe.

I don’t know which region or what city I would live in, except it would have to be within walking distance of the beach, probably in a non-tourist area. I would become a local. I would live in a really small house. Bedroom, bathroom, cooking area is all I’d really need. Wealth isn’t my goal here; a simple and content life is what I would want in my Cretan bungalow.

I would want to work; I’d get bored just sitting around all day, even if I was surrounded by beauty. I might teach, or I might open a bike rental stand. Whatever I felt like. Someone would have to come with me in my move to Crete. I would get too lonely there by myself. I have actually talked to a few people about this and they seem to think it’s a great idea.

This wish is nearly impossible as I am too caught up in this country’s politics and trying to make it better and I don’t know how well moving away from it would help. There is always retirement.

1 comment:

Noel Pederson said...

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about Crete before, but it sounds really nice. Once you become a local there I look forward to visiting you. We can talk about the "old days" of college and eat good Italian bread. Huzzah!